Here is my latest attempt in the quest to get a few more vegetables into my son’s life (and let’s face, my diet could use a few more vegies too!). After having cheese sandwiches for lunch a few too many days in a row (and finally feeling better from the eternal cold that’s been dragging me down), I decided to try a savoury muffin – and specifically cheese and corn muffins for lunch. Here’s the recipe:
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup grated cheese
3/4 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons Italian herbs
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. Sift flour and baking powder together into a large bowl.
3. Stir in cheese, corn and herbs.
4. Mix milk and eggs together in a jug or small bowl.
5. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined.
6. Spoon mixture into a greased or case-lined muffin tin.
7. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.
End result: light and fluffy savoury muffins that my son wouldn’t eat them. I found them a little bland, and needed to put a bit of butter on to make them a bit tastier. Next time, I think I’ll add some bacon or ham to give them a bit of extra salty zing.
Note: I can hear you ask “Where are the photos?”. I swear I took a heap of photos of the muffins because they looked delicious, but when I went to download them from my nice new camera, they weren’t there (along with a heap of pictures I took of the steps of another project). I am so embarassed and annoyed, but really wanted to get back in the swing of posting, so you’ll just have to imagine they’re fluffy, golden, muffin-y appearance. I’ll try to do better next time!