Everyone should have a good Banana Bread recipe. So tasty and a bit healthy (hey, it has fruit). I haven’t been able to make it for a while as my son loves bananas, so they all get eaten before they get mushy. Somehow, we ended up with three heading towards blackness, and finally I could get out my favourite Banana Bread recipe. Here it is:
3 large ripe bananas
2 1/2 cups (11oz) self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
a pinch of ground nutmeg
a pinch of salt
3/4 cup (5 3/4 oz) brown sugar
125g (4 1/2oz) unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1/4 cup (2 fl oz) milk
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (315°F). Lightly grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Peel and mash the bananas.
3. Combine the melted butter, eggs, vanilla, milk and mashed bananas in a bowl.
4. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, nutmeg and salt into a bowl (Note: sometimes I don’t bother sifting!). Stir in the brown sugar.
5. Fold the banana mixture into the dried ingredients. Pour into the pre-prepared tin.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the bread. Leave in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Enjoy your banana bread warm, straight from the oven. For a decadent dessert, serve with a caramel sauce!