The nesting urge is kicking in at full strength now. Coming back from holidays, my husband mentioned in passing that with so little food in the fridge, it would be a great time to give it a good clean (but for some reason, he didn’t offer to do it himself…). Next thing I know, I had a sink full of hot soapy water and away I went.
Here are my tips for cleaning a fridge:
- Fill your kitchen sink or a bowl with hot soapy water (ie using dishwashing liquid).
- Work from top to bottom. I did the shelves first and then the door, but that order doesn’t matter.
- As my fridge was pretty empty and I have a toddler (so no idea how long before I got dragged away from the task), I relocated items from one shelf to another shelf. I then cleaned the shelf (I find it easiest with the glass shelves of my fridge to pull them out and take them to the sink to clean). Then I wiped the bottom of any leaky containers, and transferred them back to their home. (I’m a bit particular about where things go – yep, I’m one of those people!)
- Check the expiry date on all items as you move them.
- Wipe down the sides and back of the inside of the fridge as you go.
- Wipe down the outside and top of the fridge if you’re feeling especially motivated!
I’m loving how clean my shelves are. I didn’t take any before shots, but here’s the after:
Still have to sort out the freezer! What are your tips for cleaning the fridge? Let me know in the comments.