We’ve recently become a camping family – I haven’t done a lot of camping so it’s a big learning curve. Luckily, we’ve got a camper trailer, so it’s not too rough! For all three of our camping expeditions, we’ve wanted an easy meal for the first night, after setting up camp. Chicken Fajitas has become my go-to, make-ahead recipe.
I cook them up before we leave, wrap them in foil and then reheat them in a frypan at the campsite. Unwrap, add a dollop of sour cream and enjoy. Quick, tasty and healthy – my husband thinks I’ve taken camp food to the next level!
I really should have a big cook-up and fill the freezer with these, so we there’s some ready for the next camp adventure (one less thing to worry about before a trip has got to be a good thing) – or for when I want something different for lunch!
Here’s my Chicken Fajitas recipe:
8 soft tortillas or wraps
500g (1 lb) chicken breast, cut into strips
1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), cut into strips
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons cornflour (or plain flour)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Handful of mint or coriander
Sour cream and tomato salsa, to serve
1. Place cornflour, ground cumin, paprika and chilli powder into a mixing bowl and stir until combined.
2. Add chicken strips to spice mixture and toss to coat the chicken.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large frypan over medium to high heat. Add chicken, turning chicken regularly until golden and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm.
4. Turn heat on frypan down to medium and add second tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add garlic, onion and capsicum (bell pepper) to frypan, stirring occasionally, until onion is just translucent – approximately 5 minutes. (If you prefer more of a raw onion flavour and crunchier capsicum, reduce the cooking time).
5. Place tortilla on a place. Top with capsicum and onion mix in the centre of the tortilla. Add chicken, a few mint or coriander leaves, tomato salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
6. Wrap it up and get into it! (Or wrap them in foil without the sour cream – heat in a frypan for 2-3 minutes before serving on your next camping trip!)
What are your favourite camping meals? (I need more inspiration!)
[Content in this feed is copyright to Cook Clean Craft and may not be republished without written permission.]