We’ve recently become a camping family – I haven’t done a lot of camping so it’s a big learning curve. Luckily, we’ve got a camper trailer, so it’s not too rough! For all three of our camping expeditions, we’ve wanted an easy meal for the first night, after setting up camp. Chicken Fajitas has become my go-to, make-ahead recipe.
I cook them up before we leave, wrap them in foil and then reheat them in a frypan at the campsite. Unwrap, add a dollop of sour cream and enjoy. Quick, tasty and healthy – my husband thinks I’ve taken camp food to the next level!
I really should have a big cook-up and fill the freezer with these, so we there’s some ready for the next camp adventure (one less thing to worry about before a trip has got to be a good thing) – or for when I want something different for lunch!
Here’s my Chicken Fajitas recipe:
8 soft tortillas or wraps
500g (1 lb) chicken breast, cut into strips
1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), cut into strips
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons cornflour (or plain flour)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Handful of mint or coriander
Sour cream and tomato salsa, to serve
- Place cornflour, ground cumin, paprika and chilli powder into a mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Add chicken strips to spice mixture and toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large frypan over medium to high heat. Add chicken, turning chicken regularly until golden and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm.
- Turn heat on frypan down to medium and add second tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add garlic, onion and capsicum (bell pepper) to frypan, stirring occasionally, until onion is just translucent – approximately 5 minutes. (If you prefer more of a raw onion flavour and crunchier capsicum, reduce the cooking time).
- Place tortilla on a place. Top with capsicum and onion mix in the centre of the tortilla. Add chicken, a few mint or coriander leaves, tomato salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
- Wrap it up and get into it! (Or wrap them in foil without the sour cream – heat in a frypan for 2-3 minutes before serving on your next camping trip!)
What are your favourite camping meals? (I need more inspiration!)
These look great! I’m thawing some chicken now and I might have to switch recipes and give this a try. We love camping! And we too have a camper. I think I’ve gotten spoiled and not sure I could do tent camping again! 🙂
Oh yum! I love chicken fajitas but hubby isn’t a big fan…he thinks they’re too healthy! It’s his fault for not adding cheese or sour cream. 😉
I haven’t made fajitas in a while – I think I’ll have to add this recipe to next weeks menu. I’m following you via GFC. I host Fluster Creative Muster Party on Wednesdays and I would love it if you would come by and party with us. Hope to see you there!
Hugs, Smiles, and Blessings,
Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about Mexican dishes and flavours. I do hope you link this one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.
a lovely colorful healthy dish.great share.I would definitely try.
Chicken fajita recipe
At last I finally got around to making the Chicken Fajitas. Delicious and luck for me hubby does not like anything with garlic or chilli so have frozen some for another time. Thank you for recipie.
Comments are closed.