Spaceman Trevor Doll Jumpsuit
When I made the Cardboard Rocket for Little Man’s doll Trevor, I decided he needed a spaceman outfit too. Nothing too tricky though, as I don’t have a huge amount of crafting time these days, and well, Little Man is only 2, so doesn’t always appreciate what I make. I made a simple outfit from white fleece in my stash, with a Velcro closure and I cut up a soft drink (soda) bottle for a helmet.
Here’s a tutorial:
Small strip of Velcro
Soft drink (soda) bottle
Hot glue gun and glue
1. First I drafted a pattern from the doll’s original clothes. This was just a short-sleeved romper, so I had to add legs and long sleeves, using the doll as a guide. I also made it on the big side as it’s always easier to make things smaller and I wanted the outfit to be easy to get on and off.
I made a single piece for the front and and two pieces for the back with extra seam allowance.
2. Cut out two pieces for the back and one piece for the front from the fleece material.
3. With wrong sides together, sew about 1.5 inches up from the crotch along the centre back seam, leaving a large opening for getting the suit on and off.
(I’ve added a line as my white thread is hard to see.)
4. Sew around the inner leg, starting at the bottom of one leg, up to the crotch, and down the next leg.
5. Sew the side and underarm seams, starting from the end of the sleeve, under the armpit and down the leg.
6. Sew the shoulder seams.
7. Have a quick fitting with your doll:
Oops, my sleeves and legs are way too long. I wasn’t originally planning on hemming them since you don’t need to with fleece, but since they were a bit long, I did.
8. Turn the jumpsuit right-side out, and sew Velcro along the opening at the back, leaving a space between the bottom of the Velcro and the seam already sewn. I didn’t add any additional material for the overlap, so it’s a rough way of doing the closure!
9. Admire your completed space suit! You could put a row of shirring or elastic around the waist for a bit snazzier/more fitted jumpsuit.
10. For the helmet, cut off a section off the bottom of a soft drink (soda) bottle that fits over your doll’s head. I also cut off the bumps on the bottom.
11. Cut out a circle of fleece and glue that over the hole of the bottle.
12. Cut out a rectangle to go around the outer of the drink bottle. I shaped it a little around the face. Sorry, no picture of the piece of fleece. Glue it to the water bottle piece, folding it over the edge of the bottle at the bottom (it wasn’t sharp, but did feel a bit rough, so I thought it best to cover it up.
Be careful using hot glue as it will melt the water bottle plastic. I only used a small amount and applied it to the fleece first.
13. Cut a small strip of fleece to cover the edge below the chin, and glue into place.
14. Dress up Trevor.
15. Put Trevor in his rocket and blast him into space!
(I love how over-exposed this shot is – very moon-landing-ish!)
Let me know if you use my tutorial!
Comments are closed.